Please use the logo and name of your group, rather than ONA’s general logo, in your communications channels and marketing materials. Your logo is available to download here.
- Group, not chapter: Please say “group” or “meetup group,” as in “our ONA Local group.” ONA does not have a chapter system; there are legal implications to the term “chapter” as pertaining to associations. We are a network of meetup groups.
- Conference, not convention: ONA hosts an annual conference, not a convention. We’re not that big! We refer to our conferences by year, such as ONA19, ONA11, etc. There is no space between ONA and the year, and we only use the last two digits of the year (not ONA2019, or ONA 19)
- Say ONA or “the Online News Association” but never “the ONA.”
- The naming convention for ONA Local groups is:
- ONA + name with a space in between (e.g., ONA New Orleans, ONA DC)
- Hashtags and vanity URLs are all one word (e.g., #ONANYC)
ONA owns several trademarks and service marks, which it considers to be its valuable intellectual property. Approved ONA Local groups are required to use only trademarks and service marks provided by ONA, and only in accordance with the ONA Local Trademark Guidelines (below). The guidelines define the scope of the ONA Local groups’ permitted use of the marks, place restrictions on the use of the marks and protect ONA’s rights in the marks. Use of the ONA trademarks and service marks by ONA Local groups will, of course, impact the reputation of ONA; ONA Local groups may use the marks only in a manner that reflects positively on ONA.
ONA will provide logos for each group. ONA Local groups may only use logos provided by ONA.
ONA Local Trademark Guidelines
ONA owns various trademarks that it uses in connection with its services, including ONA and ONLINE NEWS ASSOCIATION (collectively, the “ONA Trademarks”), and ONA Local Groups may only use ONA Trademarks in accordance with the following guidelines:
- An ONA Local group may use the ONA Trademarks, as provided by ONA, only in connection with activities that are consistent with ONA’s mission and function as a membership organization for digital journalists, connecting journalism, technology and innovation. Provided that the uses are consistent with the previous sentence, an ONA Local group may use the ONA Trademarks to identify the ONA Local group and in connection with publications, websites and other digital services, social media pages and profiles, membership development efforts, and events sponsored by or hosted by the ONA Local group.)
- ONA Local groups must: (1) always exhibit and display the ONA Trademarks in the exact form provided by ONA (including any notices, such as ® and TM, that ONA includes with the ONA Trademarks), unless otherwise permitted under these guidelines; (2) ensure that events, publications and other goods or services offered under the ONA Trademarks will be of high quality and commensurate with the quality of the goods and services provided by ONA in connection with its business; (3) provide samples of materials bearing the ONA Trademarks if requested by ONA; and (4) if using any of the ONA Trademarks in conjunction with a trademark of a college or university, use the college or university marks in accordance with the trademark guidelines of the institution.
- ONA Local groups may not: (1) allow others to use or make copies of the ONA Trademarks, except as necessary to support the ONA Local groups’ authorized activities; (2) use the ONA Trademarks in any manner that may tend to tarnish, or bring disrepute upon, the reputation of or goodwill associated with the ONA Trademarks or ONA; (3) combine any ONA Trademark with any other trademark, except with the written authorization of ONA or as explicitly permitted by these guidelines; or (4) use any mark owned by ONA except as permitted in these guidelines.
- ONA Local groups and individual members acquire no right or interest in the ONA Trademarks by virtue of the use of the ONA Trademarks, except the right to use the marks as permitted in these guidelines. All use of the ONA Trademarks by an ONA Local inures to the benefit of ONA.
- ONA may revoke the right of any ONA Local group or individual ONA member to use the ONA Trademarks at any time, and for any reason.